Close Menu

Does Florida cap non-economic damages, like pain and suffering, for a person injured in a car accident?

Return to FAQ Videos


Florida does not cap damages of that type, however, the Government does because there’s a thing called “Sovereign immunity.” If a Government vehicle hits your car, and they don’t have insurance, and you have to sue the Government, they have sovereign immunity, that means that damages are capped to $200,000. Does that mean that’s all you can get? No. You can request what’s called a “Claims bill” and go to the Florida legislature and try to get a bill that will award you damages above that $200,000. That is very hard to do.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google Plus