Florida Train Accidents Can Cause Serious Injuries
Freight and commuter trains regularly haul freight and people from place to place across Florida, and railroad crossing signs are commonplace on roads and highways in the more rural parts of the state. Trains are incredibly massive vehicles that often travel at highway speeds and are capable of causing extremely serious injuries when they are involved in accidents. Fortunately, in many cases, victims of train accidents can recover compensation for the losses they have sustained, including their medical expenses, lost income, loss of quality of life, and physical and emotional pain and suffering.
What Causes Train Accidents?
There are many potential causes of an accident between a train and a passenger vehicle. What is important to victims is being able to establish that their accident was caused by the negligence of another person. Some examples of negligent conduct that has the potential to lead to a serious train accident include the following:
- Operating a train while intoxicated by drugs or alcohol;
- Failing to comply with state and federal safety regulations;
- Improperly designed or maintained railroad tracks;
- Defective vehicle design, manufacture, or marketing;
- Improperly installed or maintained safety equipment at railroad crossings;
- Negligent train maintenance;
- Improper cargo handling, loading, or securement.
The railroad industry is subject to various standards and regulations of which most people are unaware. For this reason, it is important for train accident victims to have their case reviewed by an experienced attorney who is familiar with representing people injured in these kinds of incidents.
Train Accident Injuries
Train accidents are capable of causing extremely serious injuries, many of which have the potential to leave victims with long-term medical problems or even disabilities that keep them from living independently or engaging in everyday tasks. Some of the more common injuries sustained in Florida train accidents include the following:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs) – TBIs occur when a bump, jolt, or other trauma to the head results in a problem with brain function. In severe cases, victims can be left with serious cognitive and physical disabilities.
- Spinal cord injuries – Because the spinal cord is the structure that allows the brain to communicate with the rest of the body, spinal cord injuries are extremely serious. When the spinal cord is completely severed, it can result in paralysis below the site of the injury.
- Broken bones – Medically referred to as “fractures,” broken bones occur when a bone is subject to force that is sufficient to cause a break in its continuity. While generally treatable, broken bones are often extremely painful and can cause long-term issues such as scarring or disfigurement.
Contact Lavalle, Brown & Ronan to Speak with an Experienced Boca Raton Personal Injury Attorney
If you have been injured in a train accident caused by the negligence of another person, you may be entitled to compensation under Florida law. Our experienced Boca Raton personal injury lawyers are qualified to represent people injured in all types of preventable accidents and are committed to helping each client we represent obtain the full and fair value of their claim. To schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys, call Lavalle, Brown & Ronan today at 888-646-1315.