Close Menu

What happens if I injured someone in a Florida car accident and the insurance company refused to settle within my police limits, then a jury awards damages in excess of my policy limits?

Return to FAQ Videos


Well that’s a bad situation to be. Potentially very bad, because that will expose your personal assets to being awarded to another party. When an insurance company does that to you, and then should have settled, well you do have a way to approach this, and that is to hire counsel who understands that the insurance company misbehaved, and they should have settled your case. That is called bad faith litigation. What an attorney does in this situation is he gets that amount of money, which is the excess, over your coverage, and he claims that the insurance company acted in bad faith, therefore they are responsible for those excess damages, not you.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google Plus